Mumbai After the Blasts: Officials close to suspect sketch as Mumbai death toll rises to 19

Mumbai, a city that has suffered four terror attacks in the past decade, was once again targeted on Wednesday, when three bombs exploded within minutes of each other in various locations around the city. Indian officials on Thursday said they were still short on leads that could help them in the investigation.

With the death toll at 19 and no one in custody, Indian authorities say they are close to preparing the sketch of a suspect in the three deadly blasts that rocked Mumbai last week.

Rakesh Maria, anti-terrorist squad chief of the state of Maharashtra, said a witness at one of the blast sites provided information that is helping authorities prepare the composite.

The sketch will not be made public, Maria added. Rather, it will be shared with officials investigation the attacks.

Meanwhile, the fatality count from the Wednesday blasts rose to 19, the government said Saturday.

Earlier, Indian authorities said they received no warnings about the blasts -- the first major assault in India's largest city since the 2008 siege. So far, no group has been singled out for blame, nor has any claimed responsibility, officials said.

He refused to accept a lack of intelligence about the attacks as failure despite widespread anger of Mumbaikars who have witnessed carnage in their city too many times.

The three blasts Wednesday evening occurred within minutes of each other in the areas of Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar and Dadar, all busy commercial hubs teeming with people. Forensic evidence collected from the scenes suggested that the attackers used ammonium nitrate with a timing device for the detonations, Chidambaram said.

The bombings Wednesday brought back haunting memories in a city that has suffered from terrorism before, including the massive assault by Pakistani gunmen in November 2008 that left 164 dead.

tags: mumbai, india, Mumbai After the Blasts
Mumbai After the Blasts: Officials close to suspect sketch as Mumbai death toll rises to 19 Mumbai After the Blasts: Officials close to suspect sketch as Mumbai death toll rises to 19 Reviewed by afree on 5:50 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.